We are wrapping up registrations for the upcoming African Studies Group Conference happening at the University of Melbourne from Thursday, 29 September to Saturday, 1 October.
Venue: Zoom and in-person at Rooms 230 (Theatre) & 219, Kwong Lee Dow Building, 234 Queensberry St, Carlton VIC 3053
We have a packed conference of exciting and through-provoking discussions on #migration #refugee #collaborativeimpact #racism #antiracism #African #AfricanAustralian #socialcohesion #multiculturalism #belonging #diversity #inclusion #diversityequityinclusion #equity #education #culture #victoria
Day 1 — Thursday 29 September
- Masterclass with Prof Karen Farquharson on ‘Positionality, Power and Participants in Research. -> https://lnkd.in/gcm4aXKR
- The Great Debate on ‘A world without borders is a desirable and viable alternative’ between the University of Melbourne and The University of Western Australia.
Monica Forson and Dr David Mickler are judges and will be joined by Dr Samuelson Appau, the ultimate facilitator!
More information-> https://lnkd.in/gMvpiPvD
- Book Review: ‘A Village and its NGOs’ (McNamara 2022) with Matthew Gmalifo Mabefam, PhD and Dr Tom McNamara.
- Public Lecture by Prof Patricia Daley on ‘Decolonising Asylum: Colonialism, Racism and Humanitarianism in the Shaping of Refugee (Un) Belonging in East Africa.’
Facilitated by Dr Savitri Taylor with a response from Kofi Bediako .
Free registration -> https://lnkd.in/gzb8nsWc
Day 2: Friday 30 September
- Presentations Dr Tebeje Molla; James Atem Mayen; Dr Sabi Kaphle; Rosi Aryal Lees; Dr William Abur, PhD.; Elsa Licumba, PhD.; Franka Vaughan; Mireille (Mimi) Kayeye; Claire Moran; Charlotte Young; Isaac Frimpong; Mario Peucker and many more
- A chat with Prof Adrian Little about Welcoming Universities and Unimelb/Africa strategy
- A Fireside Conversation on ‘Rethinking Refuge for Refugees in and from Africa with Mireille (Mimi) Kayeye; Atem Atem; Dr Louise Olliff; Professor Patricia Daley; and facilitated by Franka Vaughan.
More information -> https://lnkd.in/gYjpBvNe
Day 3: Saturday 1 October
- Presentations by Selba Gondoza Luka; Dr Godwin Masuka; Mamadou Diamanka; Kate Doery; DR. Georgia Birch; Jiress Musafiri; Stani Goma and many more
- Special presentations on ‘Revisiting Set the Tone’ facilitated by Shannon Owen
- A dialogue on ‘Realities of Migrant Life: Stories of Resilience’ with Stephen Ho
- A cultural performance by Adrian Hearn and the Drum Voices
- Little Africa in Australia Conference Dinner at at Ge’ez Ethiopian Restaurant. Register -> https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/2022-asg-conference-dinner-little-africa-in-australia-tickets-406613942247